Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Chilbo (Korean Enameling) Class #2


This week in chilbo I learned about how to layer the enamels while they were wet or dry. The top square I covered with wet enamel, then while still wet I applied frit and additional enamel. It was only fired one time.

On the lower square, I painted wet enamel onto the square and it was fired. Then with a really wet brush, I covered the square with black but it was really splotchy. Then with a dry brush, I added a pattern.


The top two in this picture were from last week. Everything was outlined in black and refired.
The lower left was made by covering the copper with wet enamel, then using more wet enamel to paint the hearts. Then it was fired.
The lower right was made by covering the copper in wet yellow enamel and it was fired. Then I used wet enamel to paint the hearts and it was fired again.


This was a piece that Nan had sitting there waiting to be photographed.


This was made by her student. I can't wait till I get to this level.

I was busy working when I heard the sound of drums. It never got any closer by it didn't go away either. So I grabbed my camera and went outside to see where the drums were. This is what I saw. I have no idea what there were doing but it sure was cool to see.

1 comment:

  1. The box the guy is holding says "Receive many 신묘-year blessings." I don't know what 신묘 is but I did a google image search and got lots of pictures of rabbits, so I suppose it has to do with the year of the rabbit. And the big backwards banner says something about culture and arts.

    I love the butterflies!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...