Friday, August 12, 2011

Life in Korea!

 What's a great dinner in South Korea?  Of course, galbi or Korean barbecue.  I came home late from hanji and too late to really cook a proper dinner so Rocketman and I went out to a neighborhood restaurant for galbi. 

We both love galbi but we also and equally love the side dishes you get.  You really can't get this in the U.S.  I also love that at this particular restaurant, the owner comes over and cuts our meat and also refills our side dishes.  The one the notoriously empties due to me is the kimchi.  I can't get enough of it.
Then today I had an appointment at a local nail shop to get a pedicure.  I saw many watermelon pedicures in the U.S. and decided that was what I wanted.  The nail shop girls had never seen anything like it and loved the idea. 

They really catered to me by finding some English speaking television for me to watch and kept the coffee going.  The store manager knew a little English and showed me a picture of her daughter who is 4 using her Smartphone.  She is a single mom and told me she wanted me to find her an American boyfriend.  She said Korean men prefered their co-workers and drinking to their family.  I don't know if she is speaking from personal experience or not.  She is 39 years old and a really sweet girl.  I don't know if she understood that I don't know a lot of single American men in the 40's let alone any here in Korea.

I also had an interesting morning.  I had a package to mail and I was walking to the post office which is about a quarter of a mile away.  I was about two blocks away when I was stopped by a Korean mail carrier on a scooter (which is how the mail is delivered in my neighborhood).  He was asking me about an address but talking totally in Korean.  It was pretty funny with him asking in Korean and me answering in English or saying "I don't know" in Korea something I know how to say quite well.

He kept talking so the only place I could think of that would be remotely related to me was an English preschool.  I pointed back to where I had came from and said in Korean "there."  Off he went on his scooter satisfied with my answer.  I sure hope that was the place he was looking for.

2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I live in the Washington DC Metro area and plan to visit Korea in October this year.

    I enjoyed reading about your life in Korea.
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm... galbi!

    I remember walking home from the hagwon one night and a lady driving by stopped to ask directions. when she saw I was a foreigner she said, "Oh--you don't know where the train station is?" and I said, "No, I do!"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...