Sunday, January 29, 2012

My Last Field Trip with My Bojagi and Chasu Teacher

I met KJ one last time near Dongdaemun to visit her favorite silk and satin store.  It happens to be a hanbok store too.  I walked into a color explosion.  There were rolls of fabric everywhere and I was in heaven.
The shop was tiny but it had a steady stream of customers.  I chose one pattern and bought 10 different colors to make a transparent bojagi like my green one.  It's part of my homework to do when I get back to the States.  I didn't want to leave and I wanted to buy everything!
                         I came home with these and you can see how pretty the pattern is.
I was also surprised when the owners gave me this.  It's silk and satin hanbok scraps and it was free.  I had asked KJ a long time ago if she ever asked for scraps from hanbok shops either for free or a low price.  She had not thought of that and had the shop surprise me with this bag.  It's pretty big but luckily I made sure to save some room in case I bought anything in Seoul knowing that there was a good chance that I would.

We stopped at a coffee shop and she showed me how to begin my triangle bojagi.  Time went by so quickly and soon it was time to go.  She took a taxi with me to make sure the driver got me back to the hotel and she was going to catch the subway from there. 

As we said our goodbyes, I saw tears in her eyes as she told me that she loved our weekly class and would miss me and our class very much.  I thanked her for all she had taught me and told her I would always come back for a visit and we could have class.  As I hugged her and walked away with my own tears, I felt so sad for the tears I had brought to my Korean friends but I feel blessed for all the friendships I had made.  It has been bittersweet to be sure and there are still more goodbyes to make.  It will be a hard couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...