Thursday, September 20, 2012

Asian Brush Painting - Class 1

I had my first Asian brush painting class last Wednesday and it did not disappoint.  I was the third of five students to arrive and I instantly knew something was wrong.  Everyone had supplies with them.  I asked and they told me they found the list on the Internet.  I had called to register and they never told me that I needed supplies.

I wasn't the only one who didn't get the message, there ended up being two of us.  Luckily, the instructor bought lots of extra supplies and she provided everything we needed.  The first thing we did was to lighten the black to make a gray.

This is a blurry view of how my teacher sets up her work area.  The Japanese name for this is Sumi which I thought it was so cool because that was the name of my Korean maedeup teacher back in Korea.
This first class we practiced four brushstrokes.  I realized as the paint dried that I had too much water on my brush which made the paper crinkle.
Painting is the only craft that I have not conquered.  I've always secretly wanted to be a painter but the "I can't" in my head would intimidate me.  This time around I've changed my mantra to "I can!"  I know I can paint because that is what I did in chilbo (Korean enameling) class so I know I can. 
 
There are a total of 5 students in my class.  We shared our journeys that had brought us to this class. One student is a high school art teacher and just that week she had a new student in class from South Korea who spoke very little English.  She wanted a few Korean words that she could say to him to help him feel better. I was so happy to help and we are discussing me visiting her class to meet him.
 
She was also looking for a polymer clay teacher to help her out with a polymer clay project which was also right up my alley.  It is so amazing to me the connects I make when I least expect it.  I really feel I was meant to take this class and meet these wonderful students.  I'll keep you posted as the adventure continues.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't that cool, the connections that we make? That'll be a fun class!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...