Monday, April 14, 2014

Maedeup Monday!

This was a fun little project I made recently. I made a garakji maedeup and instead of using Korean cording, I used bungee cording. Then some 18 gauge wire curled on one end and I used a hot glue gun to glue it in place. It was so simple to make and you could also use it for place cards for a dinner. It took about two feet of bungee cording to complete. You can find the instructions on how to construct a garakji maedeup in my book "Elegant Knotted Jewelry" or here on YouTube.
Back to reality, the snow finally completely melted this week and this is what the snow was hiding under our backyard deck. That's a 3 inch gap from the footing to the bottom of a post.
 This is one of the center posts of the deck which is also elevated though only about 1 1/2 inches.
This is a photo of one of the footings to the rear of the deck. It has risen about 3 inches over the winter.
 
Rocketman noticed that our deck was leaning badly. I didn't think it was so bad but then there were three or more feet of snow on it for the better part of six months. When it all melted, you could definitely see it. But it wasn't until the snow melted that we discovered what was causing the problem.
 
I felt that Rocketman, being the engineer that he is, would know immediately what caused it and how to fix it. But he is as perplexed as I am. It's as if the ground raised one post suport for some reason. We built our house in 1990 and added the deck in 1991.
 
We scoured the internet trying to find a fix and basically found that with the age of the deck, the best thing to do is tear it down and build a new deck. I'm convinced this is what we need to do but I'm not sure Rocketman agrees quite yet. We may have the contractor we used for the kitchen come out and take a look or we may just choose to ignore it for the time being. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...