Monday, August 31, 2015

Maedeup Monday! The Day I Met a Korean Maedeup Master

While living in South Korea, Su-Mi my maedeup teacher, showed me a book from maedeup master, Kim Eun-Young. I asked her to order one for me and she did. Hellena, my Korean friend happened to be visiting our apartment when I received my book and I told her how I wish I could meet Kim Eun-Young.  Hellena, always being the optimist said that I could and immediately got on her phone to make calls.

It was after about a half hour of phone calls, Hellena had Kim Eun-Young's phone number and was calling her. She was very interested in meeting me and we set up a time. She and her husband live in Seoul. I was really nervous to meet her but Hellena was with me so that helped tremendously. She lived in a beautiful home and was so gracious.

We talked for awhile and she shared rice cakes and tea with us. Her husband is also famous as a painter and she had paintings of his all over. We talked about maedeup and our great love for the art form. She was very interested in sharing maedeup with the U.S. and the rest of the world. Her English was excellent.

I would love to meet her again but I fear that it may even be more difficult to find her. Here is an article about her. She is an Intangible Asset of Korea and there are not many in Korea. It is very difficult to become one.
This is the book that I brought for her to autograph.
I will treasure it forever.

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing opportunity! I am so jealous! I am also a knotter and it is gratifying to see the craft being promoted. Looking forward to more of your knotting!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...